Serial Motor Vehicle Thief’s Run Ended in Solon | Crime
On May 29, Maurice Jones, 42 was indicted by a Cuyahoga County Grand Jury on fourteen counts including Burglary, Breaking and Entering and Grand Theft Motor Vehicle for a series of crimes committed between November of 2011 and March of 2012 at various locations in the City of Solon.
He is scheduled to appear for arraignment on June 12 in the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas
- The first reported incident occurred on November 2, 2011, where a 42 year old male Solon
Boulevard, Solon resident reported his 1990 Buick LeSabre, valued at approx. $3000, stolen
from his driveway during the morning hours.
- Two days later, November 4, 2011, also in the morning, a 60 year old male Solon resident
reported his 1991 Chevrolet Astro Van, valued at approx. $600 stolen from the parking lot of
Vintage Wine Distributors, 6555 Davis Industrial Parkway, Solon. The vehicle had been driven
to work at that location by the victim’s son.
- The next month, December 4, 2011, during the day, a 39 year old male Parkway Drive, Solon
resident reported his 2002 Chevrolet pick-up truck stolen from his driveway. The pick-up truck
was recovered within the hour several blocks away on Forest Glen Avenue, Solon.
- The following day, December 5, 2011, a 72 year old male resident of Solon Boulevard, Solon
reported his snow blower and lawn mower stolen from his attached garage; as did a 44 year
old female victim from Edgemoor Avenue who had a snow blower and leaf blower stolen from
her attached garage.
- After a couple month break, on February 17, 2012, a 34 year old female Edgemoor Avenue,
Solon victim reported her 1995 Chevrolet van stolen from her driveway. A Buick, which had
been stolen from Garfield Heights was recovered, unoccupied, running, next door.
- A 46 year old male Duneden Avenue, Solon resident reported his snow blower stolen from his
garage on the same day, during the same time frame.
All told, four vehicles were stolen, three were recovered (two of the stolen Solon vehicles), three
snow blowers, one lawn mower and one leaf blower were stolen over the winter of 2011-2012. All of
these crimes happened within less than a half-mile of each other.
Solon Police Detective Thomas Terwilliger was successfully able to use DNA evidence recovered
from one of the stolen vehicles, cellular telephone records of suspects, and video from businesses in
the surrounding neighborhood to piece together a complete picture of the suspect’s spree through
Solon. His evidence was presented to a grand jury in May and the above indictments were returned.
The Burglary and Breaking & Entering charges arise from his trespass on property to steal the vehicles
and/or his trespass in garages attached to victim’s residences to steal equipment.
Jones has pending charges from other counties regarding being in possession of other uninvolved
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- City of Bedford to Host Annual Christmas in Bedford Falls Event
- Dominion reminds customers of PUCO winter reconnection order & energy assistance programs
- Bedford children's fall festival
- Browns celebrate National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October
- BBB serving greater Cleveland with scam alert text service